Some kids are more sensitive to taste than others. I know a lot of you probably struggle with getting your kids to eat balanced meals and making sure they get all the nutrients that they need! These kid-friendly salmon rice balls are packed with omega-3 fatty acids and high in DHA (which is necessary for brain development). It’s a good source of protein and taste absolutely yummsss! I’ve also sneaked in some broccoli for some of their daily dose of greens (woohoo).
I channel my Asian mom and always make more than what I need! My mom always makes food in large batches because she likes to freeze and share food with the family. I’m the same way! I always make large batches of food, so feel free to adjust the recipe according to your taste preference. 🙂
If you’re like me, I never stick entirely to a recipe. The true Asian way of cooking is just adding a dash of this and a little bit of that… no real recipe but going off of taste (which is what I mostly do, but for the sake of this recipe and other moms who cook based on a recipe — here ya go) hehehe
Salmon Rice Balls With Broccoli
- 1 pieces salmon filets I used 3 salmons in this recipe so that I could make my own dish and that I can freeze some rice balls for future meals!
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup steamed broccoli
- 2 cups cooked white rice or brown rice
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp kewpie mayo
- pre heat air fryer at 350 degrees
- place the salmon filet on a piece of aluminum foil
- season with salt and pepper (or whatever seasoning you may like)
- cover the salmon with the edges of the aluminum to keep it moist
- cook salmon covered for 20 minutes or until fork tender
- remove salmon from air fryer and shred with fork
- grab cooked rice into a bowl and place shredded salmon on top
- season with soy sauce, kewpie mayo, and add steamed broccoli
- mix the rice and add your panko bread crumbs
- roll and form into balls or fun shapes!
Instructions for Our Kid-Friendly Salmon Rice Balls (With Pictures)!
you can use fresh or frozen salmon! I happen to have frozen salmon filets in the freezer 🙂 I cooked with 3 because I was making myself some lunch too!
line your air fryer with a piece of aluminum foil and place your salmon on the sheet. season with salt and pepper and wrap the salmon in the aluminum.
while salmon is cooking, steam your broccoli or boil it in water. once super soft, shred with a fork
check and make sure salmon is fork tender and cooked all the way! wrapping it with the foil allows it to stay moist and soft!
transfer your salmon to a bowl
carefully shred your salmon with a fork (be careful! it’s hot)
grab your rice and place shredded salmon on top
season salmon and rice with soy sauce and kewpie mayo
add in steamed broccoli and mix together
add your panko bread crumbs (or any bread crumbs) to the bowl. this allows the rice to thoroughly come together and has some texture! once mixed, form into little balls or any fun shapes you want 🙂
pair with a side of fruit and some dairy/grains for a complete meal for your toddler! if you’re feeling hungry yourself, you can add some sriracha and some furikake. CHEFS KISSS! because that’s what I ate while he was eating his rice balls. yumyum!
be sure to check out all my other recipes here!