Just like you and me… sweet potatoes and babies are a match made in heaven! Sweet potatoes help baby’s eyes grow and develop AND they have nutrients that are packed with tons of vitamins. Not only is it sweet and healthy for your little one… it’s super easy to cook and prepare! Not only is it super easy, but it’s baby friendly.
The sweet potatoes cook down super soft and babies are able to mash them with their gums. They’re not considered a high choking hazard because if cooked fully, they’re soft and squishy making them the perfect first food to start off with. Sweet potatoes are versatile, and can be incorporated into different recipes. Plus…they’re sweet! Win-win situation for all mamas out there struggling with picky babies and toddlers.
There are many ways to cook sweet potatoes and incorporate them into your baby’s meals. From potato wedges, fries, tots, and fritters… BUT my favorite way is the easiest way. :p Sweet Potato Wedges and Sticks with THREE ingredients!!
Sweet Potato Wedges
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes Preferably the sweet potatoes with orange flesh (sometimes called yams in certain stores)
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Wash your sweet potatoes under cold water, making sure to get the dirt off the skin
- Once potatoes are washed, pat them dry with a paper towel
- Slice the potatoes in half (lengthwise) and then cut them into 4 more wedges lengthwise.
- Add cut potatoes into bowl and drizzle avocado oil
- Sprinkle some cinnamon (or any spice you want) and mix until all potatoes are coated evenly
- Add on top of parchment paper in air fryer
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F
- Flip the sweet potatoes and bake again for another 10 minutes at 400 F
- Let it cool down, and serve!
Instructions for Sweet Potatoes With PIctures
Preheat oven or air fryer to 400 degrees F and wash your sweet potatoes under cold water and pat dry.
Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and again four more times to get little wedges (left picture). If you are also making for your toddler (like I am) — keep the length if the sweet potato and just cut them into sticks.
Transfer sweet potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with avocado oil
Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and mix until everything is nice and coated evenly!
Transfer onto a piece of parchment paper (or a baking tray) and pop into the air fryer or oven for 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes are over, flip the sweet potatoes on the other side and let cook for another 10 minutes
The sweet potatoes should be nice and tender! Remove from tray and let cool before serving